Quantity Discounts Standard and Black Freedom Rangers
|49 or Less||50-99||100-300|
Standard Freedom Ranger baby broiler chicks for sale by mail order.
This supplier is NPIP certified.
Also available in a GMO free program. Are you searching for a hardy broiler that does well in pastured and free range environments like your backyard? Look no further! These are robust, and hardy chickens that excel in free range and pastured environments and do well in any climate once they are fully feathered.
Our red & tri-color Freedom Rangers originate from four different heritage breeds bred to the high standards of the French Label Rouge breeding program of the 1960’s. These Freedom Ranger meat chickens retain the qualities of the good old chicken – such as dust bathing, ground scratching, and basking in sunlight – yet reach their prime butchering weight of 4.5 – 6 pounds in just 9-11 weeks. They are your best combination of growth rate, health, and quality of meat and will excel on your homestead or hobby farm!
More Facts About Our Baby and Tri-Color Freedom Ranger Broiler Chickens:
- Our Freedom Rangers will reach 4.5 – 6 lbs at 9-11 weeks. Typical 2.5 lbs of feed per 1 lb gain when harvested at 9-10 weeks or 2.7 -2.8 lbs of gain if harvested from 10-11 weeks.
- We typically ship a straight run (a random mix of both genders).
- Freedom Rangers do well in confinement, requiring 2-3 cubic feet of space per bird, but will taste better if allowed to be pastured or free range. They do require a place to roost that is safe from the elements.
- After 15 weeks of age, the Freedom Ranger becomes sexually active and goes through a hormone change which makes the meat tougher and less desirable.
Broiler Breed Comparison
|Breed||Butcher Age||Harvest Weight||Feed Conversion||Foraging Ability||Cold/Heat Hardy?||Meat Texture||Required Protein||Skin Color|
|Jumbo Cornish Rock Cross||6 - 8 weeks||6 - 8 lbs||2:1||Poor, Typically||Yes/No||Soft||23-24% broiler starter until week 3, 20-21% grower or finisher||White|
|Standard & GMO Free Freedom Rangers||9 - 11 weeks||4.5 - 6 lbs||2.5:1||Excellent||Yes/Yes||Firm||21-22% starter, 18-19% grower until week 7, 16-17% finisher||Yellow|
|Black Freedom Rangers||11 - 13 weeks||4.5 - 6 lbs||2.7:1||Excellent||Yes/Yes||Firmer||21-22% starter, 18-19% grower until week 7, 16-17% finisher||Yellow|
3-4 weeks. Start at 95 degrees and decrease 5 degrees per week.
Feed – Broilers
- 21-22% protein starter 2-3 weeks
- 18-19% protein grower until week 7
- 16-17% protein finisher
- 2.5 lbs feed per 1 lb of gain – harvested at 8-9 weeks.
- 2.7 – 2.8 feed per lb of gain – harvested at 10-11 weeks.
Freedom Rangers take approximately 1-2 weeks longer to reach the same weights as the Cornish hybrids (the common commercial breed).
- Broilers harvested at 9-11 weeks average 4.5 – 6 lbs dressed weight
- Approximately 6 lbs live weight.
- 68% – 70% dressed weight vs. live weight.
Almost every time this occurs it is because of a vitamin B2 deficiency. Solution: Buy a common vitamin B supplement at your local drugstore and dissolve it in your chick’s water supply. This should help within 24 – 48 hours.
We mail straight run Standard Freedom Rangers every Tuesday all year long. Your order is mailed hours after they are hatched.