GMO Free Freedom Ranger Quantity Discounts (Applied in Cart)
|up to 49||50-99||100-300|
This supplier is NPIP certified.
These are robust, and hardy chickens that excel in free range and pastured environments and do well in any climate once they are fully feathered.
Our red & tri-color GMO Free Freedom Rangers originate from four different heritage breeds bred to the high standards of the French Label Rouge breeding program of the 1960’s. The breeder flock has been imported from Burgundy and Brittany, France and has been kept on a strict diet of GMO free feed. These GMO Free Freedom Ranger chickens retain the qualities of the good old chicken – such as dust bathing, ground scratching, and basking in sunlight – yet reach their prime butchering weight of 4.5 – 6 pounds in just 9-11 weeks. They are your best combination of growth rate, health, and quality of meat and will excel on your homestead or hobby farm!
More Info About Our GMO Free Freedom Ranger Broilers:
- Our Freedom Rangers will reach 4.5 – 6 lbs at 9-11 weeks. Typical 2.5 lbs of feed per 1 lb gain when harvested at 9-10 weeks or 2.7 -2.8 lbs of gain if harvested from 10-11 weeks.
- We typically ship a straight run (a random mix of genders).
- They lay about 4-5 eggs a week and are perfectly capable of reproducing. The offspring will not be as big or finely featured as the parents, however.
- Freedom Rangers do well in confinement, requiring 2-3 cubic feet of space per bird, but will taste better if allowed to be pastured or free range. They do require a place to roost that is safe from the elements.
- After 15 weeks of age, the Freedom Ranger becomes sexually active and goes through a hormone change which makes the meat tougher and less desirable.
Broiler Breed Comparison
|Breed||Butcher Age||Harvest Weight||Feed Conversion||Foraging Ability||Cold/Heat Hardy?||Meat Texture||Required Protein||Skin Color|
|Jumbo Cornish Rock Cross||6 - 8 weeks||6 - 8 lbs||2:1||Poor, Typically||Yes/No||Soft||23-24% broiler starter until week 3, 20-21% grower or finisher||White|
|Standard & GMO Free Freedom Rangers||9 - 11 weeks||4.5 - 6 lbs||2.5:1||Excellent||Yes/Yes||Firm||21-22% starter, 18-19% grower until week 7, 16-17% finisher||Yellow|
|Black Freedom Rangers||11 - 13 weeks||4.5 - 6 lbs||2.7:1||Excellent||Yes/Yes||Firmer||21-22% starter, 18-19% grower until week 7, 16-17% finisher||Yellow|
3-4 weeks. Start at 95 degrees and decrease 5 degrees per week.
Feed – Broilers
- 21-22% protein starter 2-3 weeks
- 18-19% protein grower until week 7
- 16-17% protein finisher
- 2.5 lbs feed per 1 lb of gain – harvested at 8-9 weeks.
- 2.7 – 2.8 feed per lb of gain – harvested at 10-11 weeks.
Freedom Rangers take approximately 1-2 weeks longer to reach the same weights as the Cornish hybrids (the common commercial breed).
- Broilers harvested at 9-11 weeks average 4.5 – 6 lbs dressed weight
- Approximately 6 lbs live weight.
- 68% – 70% dressed weight vs. live weight.
Almost every time this occurs it is because of a vitamin B2 deficiency. Solution: Buy a common vitamin B supplement at your local drugstore and dissolve it in your chick’s water supply. This should help within 24 – 48 hours.
We mail out straight run GMO Free Freedom Ranger chicks every Tuesday all year long. Your order is mailed hours after they are hatched.