Day old Black Jersey Giant chicks for sale by mail order. This is a NPIP certified supplier.
Those with patience gets rewarded with the biggest purebred chicken breed around! These Black Jersey Giant chickens are not fast growing and will start to lay eggs at only about 8 months of age. They will reach full adult weight at 18 – 24 months old and will reward their owners with their mellow personalities and good foraging abilities. They will get along just fine with other chickens. The roosters aren’t known for being aggressive but they won’t be bullied because they will be much bigger than the other chickens in your farmyard.
These are brown egg layers and are considered a dual purpose chicken (?). They were originally intended to replace the turkey as a meat bird but since modern day broiler breeds gain weight much faster they have lost popularity in that aspect. These beautiful giants are still top notch chickens to have around producing 180-200 large to extra large eggs per year. They are sure to grace any flock with their poise and size! And just wait until you hear your rooster’s impressive crow!
More Facts About Our Black Jersey Giant Baby Chicks for Sale…
- This breed originated in New Jersey by the Black brothers and get really big, hence the name.
- Black Jersey Giants do not sit well on the nest since they are to heavy and tend to break the eggs. Incubating the eggs is your best bet if you intend to hatch Jersey Giants.
- This breed is not often broody.
- They have yellow skin and are cold hardy though your rooster’s large combs should be taken care of since they can be prone to frostbite. Keep your coop free of humidity since humidity is a key contributor to frostbite.
- Rooster will weigh in at 13 lbs while the hen can reach 10-11 lbs full grown.